[tex-live] New binaries (and problems:)

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri May 23 20:17:50 CEST 2003

>     Shall I recompile with --disable-shared ?
>     What is the reason for configuring these programs to be built
>     with libstdc++ at all?
>
> Presumably there is C++ code somewhere now.  We need to track it down
> and remove it (if possible), or compile statically, or include the

That C++ code is there for a long time. It comes from xpdf which is used
by pdftex for reading pdf files (for graphic inclusion).

The point is that gcc can be build in such a way that the C++ runtime
library is a shared library. Binaries compiled with such a version of
gcc are no longer portable.

--disable-shared might be a solution, however, not for compiling TL,
but for compiling gcc. Another solution, as already suggested, is to
use the Sun compilers.

Thomas