[tex-live] Separating texmf trees. Problem with hard coded(?) path.

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Mar 3 18:21:54 CET 2003

On Monday, Mar 3, 2003, at 17:32 Europe/Amsterdam, Norbert Preining
wrote:

>> It looks like the name texmf is hard-coded somewhere in kpse. This
>> seems to be the case, because when I move texmf.bin to texmf,
>
> OF COURSE!!! The texmf.cnf file cannot find itself without a hard coded
> path! The path of texmf.cnf IS hardcoded as
> 	SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> or something similar. Setting TEXMFCNF in this file is just funny, but
> useless. Now if you do not have the above it uses the hard coded built
> in stuff, otherwise the settings from
> SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.

Not too fast.  Also hardcoded is the fact that KPSE finds a texmf.cnf
as SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf and it finds this *first*. And *that* file
is where I have set my new locations.

So it is in principle possible that KPSE would first find
SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf and find the other texmf.cnf locations there.
Or it could first read SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf and then use TEXMFMAIN
to find the basic texmf.cnf.

In other words, while there is a need for SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf
there is not by definition a need for
SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

In my texmf.cnf in the source directory tree, it says:

texmf.cnf:TEXMFCNF =
{$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-local,}/
web2c};$TETEXDIR;/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.stable/share/texmf/web2c;/
usr/local/Build/TeXLive.stable/share/texmf/web2c

which is the actual compiled-in path. And thus it *can* find
SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf but not
SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.bin/web2c/texmf.cnf.

I tried setting TEXMFCNF in SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.cnf but that is
ignored.

So, what shoukd I do to change the compiled-in path (preferable at
configure time)?