[tex-live] TeX file preamble proposal

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jul 29 11:19:26 CEST 2003

    %! texexec = --pdf --mode=screen
    %! TeXShop = root:../bar.tex engine=ConTeXt

I assume this (or something like it) is a real example?  The general
idea seems sensible enough to me, although of course it's really Olaf
and the others whose opinions we need :).

Is a leading %% line really ok, though?  I wonder about having it stop
reading as soon as it hits a non-%! line?  It seems cleaner, and more like
shell script #! parsing.

Also, %! may not be the best sequence, since that's the magic number for
PostScript?  I'm not sure if it would cause any confusion in practice,
but ... maybe (off the top of my head) %%! or %* or %\ ...