[tex-live] charter copyright

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 23 18:01:41 CEST 2003

Le mercredi, 23 juil 2003, à 16:49 Europe/Paris, Karl Berry a écrit :

> Following Daniel's suggestion, I looked at
> CTAN/fonts/charter/bchr8a.afm
> and see:
>
> Comment Copyright 1987-1990 as an unpublished work by Bitstream Inc.,
> Cambridge, MA.
> Comment All rights reserved
> Comment Confidential and proprietary to Bitstream Inc.
>
> I don't recall the terms under which Bitstream originally donated
> Charter (to the X Consortium, I think?), but obviously any loosening of
> copyright did not make it into the source files.

See in fontmap.gs

% The following notice accompanied the Charter fonts.
%
% (c) Copyright 1989-1992, Bitstream Inc., Cambridge, MA.
%
% You are hereby granted permission under all Bitstream propriety rights
% to use, copy, modify, sublicense, sell, and redistribute the 4
Bitstream
% Charter (r) Type 1 outline fonts and the 4 Courier Type 1 outline
fonts
% for any purpose and without restriction; provided, that this notice is
% left intact on all copies of such fonts and that Bitstream's trademark
% is acknowledged as shown below on all unmodified copies of the 4
Charter
% Type 1 fonts.
%

--