[tex-live] charter copyright

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jul 23 17:49:33 CEST 2003

Following Daniel's suggestion, I looked at CTAN/fonts/charter/bchr8a.afm
and see:

Comment Copyright 1987-1990 as an unpublished work by Bitstream Inc., Cambridge, MA.
Comment All rights reserved
Comment Confidential and proprietary to Bitstream Inc.

I don't recall the terms under which Bitstream originally donated
Charter (to the X Consortium, I think?), but obviously any loosening of
copyright did not make it into the source files.

Unless we can get this changed, seems like we have to remove it.

As another issue, looks like there are two copies:

Master/texmf/fonts/afm/bit/charter/bchr8a.afm.gz
Master/texmf/fonts/afm/bit/charter/bchri8a.afm.gz
Master/texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter/bchr8a.afm.gz
Master/texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter/bchri8a.afm.gz