[tex-live] binaries for linux

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Jul 22 18:52:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Dmitry Ivanov wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:23:24AM +0200, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> > source.development compiled well on old linux (rh6.2) and on rh9.0.
>
> 1) What about other distros? I can test it with Mandrake 7.2-9.0
>    and ALT 2.2-current. Just show me which tarball to download.

It was compiled on rh6.2 and as I know, it works well on other distros.
(o)xdvi.bin is compiled separatelly statically.
At the moment you can grab it from p4 depot or from
tug.org/texlive/Images/ when Sebastian remakes iso images.

> 2) I think it is possible to compile Linux binaries
>    statically on older distributions to prevent
>    any library problems. In rh6.2 with system libc.a
>    it adds <100kb to binary. With dietlibc binary must
>    be _much_ smaller. I believe TeX doesn't use
>    any functions missing in dietlibc.

Hmmm... no idea about dietlibc, but I think that binaries should be
compiled using standard gnu c libs.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl