[tex-live] pdftex.map for TL8

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Jul 22 18:39:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Daniel Flipo wrote:

> I have noticed strange things in the pdftex.map file for TL8:
>
> 1) What are the funny encodings (f7b6d320.enc,10037936.enc, etc.)
>    found in texmf/dvips/tetex for? Could Thomas explain why they are
>    used now for the CM fonts and what these funny names mean?

As I understand, it's better to put encoding vector explicitly into
resulting ps or pdf file (instead of extracting that from pfb).

>    Why is cmr5 reencoded why a different encoding (0ef0afca.enc) while
>    all other cmr* use f7b6d320.enc?

Because cmr5 and cmr10 have different character set. Don't ask me why ;-)

> 2) It seems to me that the updmap script does not do a proper job, see
>    for instance what happens to cmbsy* fonts:
>
> In TL8, I get this:
> cmbsy10 CMBSY10 " TeX10037936Encoding ReEncodeFont "
>                   <10037936.enc <cmbsy10.pfb
> cmbsy5 CMBSY5 <cmbsy5.pfb
> cmbsy7 CMBSY7 <cmbsy7.pfb

cmbsy5 and 7 belong to different "cmextra" set of fonts, and as
rarelly used, they were just ignored.
The same with cmmib5 and 7.

> b) three lines are missing for cmbsy6, cmbsy8 and cmbsy9 (precisely
>    the sizes using a different .pfb file (cmbsy6 uses cmbsy7.pfb).

It is just hack that shouldn't be recommended. The user can include
bsr-interpolated.map on demand.

> 4) Two maps are not included: charter and uag.map (in urw.map), while
>    PFB files for charter and AvantGarde are on TL8.

As for charter, are those fonts legal? On teTeX charter.map
belongs to psnfss; on TL depot it is missing.
uag.map shouldn't be installed by default, as urw have to work
as substitution for standard lw35. I'm going to separate afm/pfb
files from other stuff like .tfm, .vf, .map files for urw, as explained
some weeks ago.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl