[tex-live] cp8bit.tcx in TL8

Daniel Flipo Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Tue Jul 22 15:53:30 CEST 2003

Hi again,

With last year's TL7, 8-bit characters were printed correctly (I am on
Linux)
in the log files (é instead of ^^e9).

Playing with TL8 (2003/07/21), this is no longer true...
even worse: the environments like `example' used in lshort
(`example' displays the LaTeX code and the output side by side)
now print 8-bit characters as hexadecimal strings
instead of readable characters :-( I know, it is normal,
the text being copied in an external file...)

I also know that, adding -translate-file=cp8bit.tcx, or a '%& command'
in the first line of the document solves the problem, but I wonder
if it would be possible to silently  use cp8bit.tcx by default
when no other `translate-file' command is present,
just to recover the TL7 (much more user-friendly) behaviour.

Daniel Flipo.