[tex-live] install-tl.sh script comments

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Wed Jul 16 05:56:43 CEST 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Another bunch of comments, this time on install-tl.sh:
>
> -     <O> options:
>        [ ] alternate directory for generated fonts ()
>        [ ] create symlinks in standard directories
>        [ ] do not install macro/font doc tree
>        [X] do not install macro/font source tree
> pressing `O' I cannot select "do not install macro/font doc tree", if I
> press `S' in the next menu I only get "do not install macro/font source
> tree".

I can confirm that. And even macro/font source tree is selected for not
installing, some source/ files *are* installed.
BTW. I'd suggest to deselect it by default in install scripts.
As for "demo CD", all files from texmf/source/ tree are gziped,
so if anybody tries to install files (why not? it works well), she/he
has many annoying warnings.

> - running install:
> install-tl.sh: line 948: /mnt/tpm/lists/lib-expat: file or directory not found

some .tpm and lists files are broken now (e.g. fontinst)

> lots of: .caution: excluded filename not matched:  texmf/source\*
>
> at the end there is *NO* bin directory, nothing executable!

It seems that install-tl.sh (a copy of install-compr.sh from p4 depot)
still try to find binaries in bin/ not in tpm/binary/

> then there are in INSTPATH/texmf-local/*...*/local directories with
> mode drwxr-sr-x, which looks suspicous.

I'm also not so sure if it is really needed ;-) And many asked me
why we have empty texmf-local structure installed by default.
Who knows?

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl