[tex-live] Re: [tug-board] tldoc revision

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 14 09:47:16 CEST 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 karl at tug.org wrote:

> Two questions about the HTML generation with tex4ht:
>
> 1) \textsf{texconfig} results in texcon\oslash g in HTML (I mean the
> actual character `ø', not \, o, s, etc.).  You can see this in the
> title and contents of section 4.1.  Any ideas?

The 'fi' has been picked up as a ligature, but the font used for \sf
probably doesn't support this, or has the composite character in a
wrong place for fonts used to show \sf style.

In fact, there is no such ligature support in the latin-1 encoding plane
of characters that are usually used with HTML.
So it could be that the HTML has an interesting character code which
your browser doesn't understand, and chooses to display an oslash.

If this was happening in a TeX/LaTeX document (for .dvi or .pdf output)
I would say that the argument 'texconfig' had been tokenised, before
it was known that the ligature would be unavailable with \sf .
Therefore, you would need to do something like:

{\sffamily
 \gdef\sftexconfig{texconfig}
}

and use this as: e.g.
     \subsection*{\sftexconfig}

But I don't know how TeX4ht works with ligatures:
 at which point does it decide what is destined for HTML output,
 and in what character encoding ?

Certainly I've faced similar questions with LaTeX2HTML, where the
expansion-order is quite different to that in TeX, for these and
other reasons.

Hope this helps,

	Ross