[tex-live] K&R C compilers.

Olaf Weber olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl
03 Jan 2003 16:18:06 +0100

Karl Berry writes:
> Olaf Weber:

>> Does anyone know whether it would be feasible to assume that all the
>> compilers used to compile TeX-live are ANSI C?

> FWIW, I agree with the other replies that this would be ok.  Many common
> GNU packages require ANSI C now.

> The most common non-ANSI compiler was SunOS 4.x's cc, and since Sun has
> completely dropped support for that, it's turning out to be ok that
> things don't compile with it anymore.  (And anyone who still has it
> and is using it almost certainly has gcc anyway.)

Some background: I'm working on kpathsea, trying to clean up bits and
pieces, and looking at the code in general.

One thing I'd like to have is a situation where the published
interface for kpathsea does not depend on configure macros.  This
makes kpathsea's and web2c's configure scripts independent of each
other, which in turn makes it easier to turn kpathsea into its own
package.

The prototypes-or-not bits and pieces are an obvious roadbump here.

--
Olaf Weber