[tex-live] compressed CD snapshot

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Tue Feb 18 11:26:06 CET 2003

> what do others think?

I think Staszek is right about speed. It is awfully slow, much slower
than unzip. I would like to know how we lose between .tar.bz2 and .zip
for all those packages (my guess : much less than we would lose by
zipping the iso image instead of bzip2'ing it, because of the small
packages).

That's true I can deal with .tar.bz2 files too, but that's true people
will find them really strange under Windows (no known tool to unpack them).

Finally, as I already mailed you, there are  a lot of goodies in infozip
options, like  the ability to set  the  timestamp of the  archive to the
timestamp of the most recent file in the archive (which you could
achieve by running a separate script, agreed).

But on the other hand, what is the status of infozip wrt to Free
Software ? Is it free enough ?

Fabrice