[tex-live] cleanup

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW at gust.org.pl
Wed Feb 12 07:18:17 CET 2003

Vladimir Volovich <vvv at vsu.ru> wrote on 12 Feb 2003 03:26:06 +0300

> 3) remove the following files from tex/generic/config:
>
> language.cy.dat language.cz.dat language.de.dat language.dk.dat
> language.es.dat language.et.dat language.fi.dat language.fr.dat
> language.gb.dat language.gr.dat language.hr.dat language.hu.dat
> language.it.dat language.la.dat language.mn.dat language.ne.dat
> language.no.dat language.pl.dat language.pt.dat language.ro.dat
> language.ru.dat language.sh.dat language.si.dat language.sw.dat
> language.us
>
>    since:
>     * they are not used anywhere. they just waste space.
>     * all their contents is present in language.dat anyway.

Not so fast, please ;-). We use that files during installation: when
the user selects any language package, $VARTEXMF/tex/generic/config/
will contain language.dat built on-the-fly and (some) format files
will be then ready to use, according to the selection.
Of course, language.ru.dat has to be touched:

ruhyph.tex -> ruhyphen.tex

as you suggested:

> 4) remove the file tex/generic/hyphen/ruhyph.tex
>   since:
>    * it's a duplication of tex/generic/ruhyphen/ruhyphen.tex
>      (and it's a source of maintenance errors)

Ooops, I can recall the discussion with Petr Olsak. ;-)
Anyway, it's pity that we can't have all patterns in one place (even
multiple variants) on TL and on CTAN.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw at gust.org.pl