[tex-live] pdftex.map for TL8

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 13 13:19:41 CEST 2003

Le mardi, 12 aoû 2003, à 21:44 Europe/Paris, Thomas Esser a écrit :

> Sebastian does not only want to provide a useful TeX system, but he
> also
> wants to provide a collection of free software which gives some minimum
> level of freedom to the users. The utopia fonts must not be changed,
> so you can't fix a bug in it or add some accents that you need.

In fact you can change anything you want in utpopia by making a new
font and using it with utopia through a virtual font mechanism. I
already did it in order to complete a full T1 encoding (eng, dotlessj
etc.).

> Sure, the "free software" decision means to omit some stuff. On the
> other
> hand, that decision has helped the whole license issue in the TeX world
> a lot.

What is sure is that to have plenty of licence designs for texlive
stuff is painful.

But to have only one for such different things that

* executable binaries
* (La)TeX files
* Type1/trutype stuff

is not so good (imho).