[tex-live] Re: Problem with \textsl and times, can this be confirmed?

Gerben Wierda Sherlock@rna.nl
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:06:19 +0200

On Sunday, September 15, 2002, at 06:47 , Tomas G. Rokicki wrote:

> Realize there are two problems here.  The first is the GhostScript
> problem, where overriding Nimbus kills Times-Roman (which it
> shouldn't).  The second is that that map file is broken, in any
> case, since the PostScript name is not provided correctly in it,
> so dvips thinks the *PostScript* name is ptmro or whatever.  So
> whoever built that map file should take another look at it.

Personally I think the formally correct thing here is that
a) ghostscript needs a bug fix
b) pdftex needs a bug fix as the map file that is incompatible with
dvips is so because it is a workaround for a pdftex bug and when that is
fixed, the map file can be good-for-both again.

As it is now, we have a map file that is good for pdftex (as it
circumvents a bug in pdftex) and not good for dvips, but the way map
files are used and with different config files, there is a good
workaround, so both fixes above are not necessarily required i nthe
short term.

But I think both gs and pdftex maintainers should be made aware of this
(if they not already are).