[tex-live] Volunteers?

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:05:57 +0100

Nelson H. F. Beebe writes:

 > >> Shall I give texlive@tug.org as the contact address?
 >
 > I don't think that is a good idea; otherwise, the tex-live list,
 > currently for developers, will reduce to a forum for newbies asking
 > how to mount a CD, or asking what is TeX good for?
 >
 > I don't know if there is a better solution, however, except possibly a
 > separate maildrop at tug.org that would be vetted by a human staffer.

The contact address for newbies at tug.org is tug-support@tug.org
(lately also office@tug.org). They are advertised on the home page.
Both are active and responsive. I agree that giving the tex-live
as yet another contact address, as suggested by Art, is not a good idea.

 > With GNU mailman, one can have subscription requests held for
 > moderator approval; perhaps that is the way to go.

It's not always obvious whether a subscription request comes from
a newbie or not (unless one asks explicitly, which I'd like to avoid).

Kaja