[tex-live] A few questions about the configuration (isn't there a problem here)

Lars Madsen daleif@imf.au.dk
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:32:26 +0100 (MET)

This is all about TeX Live 7.

1)

Acording to Walter Schmidt's README inside the 9.0a update of psnfss there
should one be one incidence og the 8r.enc encoding file, and it should be
in texmf/dvips/psnfss (TDS based).

Doing a simple find . -name 8r.enc (On a linux box) result in this

./texmf/dvips/base/8r.enc
./texmf/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc
./texmf/xdvi/8r.enc
./texmf/vtex/enc/8r.enc

And kpsewhich returns the first one. This means that when I update the
psnfss system, it updates ./texmf/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc, but that will noget
change any thing since the system uses ./texmf/dvips/base/8r.enc.

What should I do here. Should I erase some of these?

2)
I'm woundering about the permissions set by the installation. On our
multiuser system, the sys admins (I'm note one of them) doesn't like the
fact that there are dirs with writing permissions for everyone. No problem
actually, since the user created fonts are placed in $HOME/texmf/fonts.

But here is what I'm woundering about.

texmf/fonts/tfm

why are the permissions on the dirs and subdirs here set to be

drwxrwxrwt

Surely the normal users shouldn't be allowed to mess with these.

Could it cause any trouble removing the write permissions here?

3)
Is there a newer version of the texmf tree (updated packages) avaliable
somewhere?
There were a few problems with the one distributed with TL 7.

/daleif