[tex-live] Czech support, ugly but efficient solution

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@guests.ipipan.gda.pl
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:28:27 +0200 (CEST)

Thomas Esser wrote:
>> OK, point taken. So to avoid a mess with changes in language.dat, etc.,
>> I'd suggest puting in texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/czhyph.tex and
>> skhyph.tex as just *copies* of texmf/tex/csplain/czhyphen.tex and

TE>Nobody seems to remember that we have that texmf/aliases file... We don't
TE>need copies of files in the texmf tree.

I remember about aliases, but it means that we have to install csplain
stuff even if we want just latex with czech or slovak patterns (and babel).

Petr Olsak wrote:
PO> No, I have a better idea. Remove the files {cz|sk}hyph.tex and replace
PO> them by files with the following contents:
PO>
PO> texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/czhyph.tex:
PO> \input t1code.tex \csaccents \input czhyphen.tex \relax
[the like with skhyph.tex]

It means that generic/hyphen contents will be *incomplete* without
csplain stuff (which contains those inputed files).

PO> I need not do any changes in the current CSTeX.

Sure, nobody wanted to do any change in CSTeX.

PO> To Johannes L. Braams: please, adpot these files into Babel package.
PO> I don't know the procedure to install these files in all common TeX
PO> distributions. Moreower this is not my bussiness because this is
PO> a Babel problem.

I don't see that's babel problem. We need generic and complete
hyphenation patterns library also for ConTeXt, Omega, etc., as well
for latex users. Moreover babel package *does not* contain hyphenation
stuff. On CTAN it is language/hyphenation/ and it seems that Johannes
is not responsible for that.

I'm still trying to consider all that problem in the context of all
distributions, like teTeX, TeX Live, fpTeX, MiKTeX (also Linux
distibutions with TeX stuff). Some of them have installation program
and allow selecting packages. So I can imagine somebody wanting latex
with, e.g., spain and czech + T1 ec (or cm-super) fonts.
To conclude:
texmf/generic/hyphen/[cz|sk]hyph.tex (independent and complete files)
 would work with latex+babel and other
texmf/csplain/[cz|sk]hyphen.tex
 would work with untouched CSTeX (csplain, cslatex).

Having files with different names doesn't mess anybody...

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl