[tex-live] Draft Proposal for Omega

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh@sharif.edu
Wed, 29 May 2002 22:41:12 +0430 (IRST)

This is a draft proposal for Omega development, Version 1. Please send
your comments to me or the Omega list. Note that we also need to settle on
some mechanism for giving CVS commit access to people.

I'll clean up the CVS tree and post exact instructions for checking out
the latest sources after we came to some consensus on the rules.

These are the guides that have been used to set up the rules:

  1. Thou shall minimize the headache.
  2. Thou shall depend on TeXLive.
  3. Thou shall not delay development.

These are the rules:

  1. Things not directly related to Omega, like the files who need not to be
     changed from the official TeXLive version to continue Omega
     development, do not belong to the Omega tree, but the TeXLive tree.
     Omega developers should use the latest official version from the stable
     branch of Perforce repository at 'texlive.dante.de' which is called
     '//depot/Build/source' there.

  2. The following are the directories and files that belong to Omega. The
     latest official version will be the STABLE branch of the Omega tree.
     These are the ones from the 'texmf' tree:

	texmf/doc/omega/*
	texmf/dvips/omega/*
	texmf/fonts/*/public/omega/*
	texmf/omega/*

     These are the ones from the 'source' tree:

	source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/*
	source/TeX/texk/owindvi/*
	source/TeX/texk/oxdvik/*
	source/TeX/texk/web2c/omegadir/*
	source/TeX/texk/web2c/omegafonts/*
	source/TeX/texk/web2c/omegaware/*
	source/TeX/texk/web2c/otps/*
	source/TeX/texk/web2c/man/omega.man

  3. In some cases, a change to some other file, with an owner outside Omega
     developers, will need to happen. In such a case, the developer should
     sync his TeXLive tree with the Perforce repository of TeXLive, to make
     sure he's using the latest version. He can then 'add' the file to
     Omega's CVS Repository, but will be the only soul responsible for
     keeping the file in sync with TeXLive. A list of these should be kept
     somewhere in the repository, and the individual files should be removed
     as soon as they are submitted to TeXLive and accepted in the stable
     branch there.

roozbeh