[tex-live] Re: recent image on W2K - old and new problems

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
Tue, 21 May 2002 15:41:49 +0200

* Janusz S Bie <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:

>> Last but not least, installation of NT Emacs seems to hang on the
>> call to addpm.

> Now I cannot even get to this stage! I get almost immediately:

>         Fatal error, cannot open log file

> As usual, I test it as a nonpriviledged user.

I guess you tried to install in "c:\program files" and you do not have
the rights to do so. I'll check this evening what happens. On a virgin
machine, it should have proposed c:\ if you are a non privileged user,
but you might even not be allowed to write on c:\ .

It is a fact that under W2K/XP, non privileged users are not allowed
to install anything (I can point you to the MS docs stating
this). That does not mean you can't do it, but it is the default
behaviour.

Fabrice