[tex-live] Problems with omega on Mac OS X

Gerben Wierda sherlock@rna.nl
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 18:45:45 +0200

On Sunday, June 2, 2002, at 06:20 , Olaf Weber wrote:

> How does it fail?
>
> These kinds of errors cannot be diagnosed without more information.

Yes, sorry about that.

omega crashes with what seems to be a wild pointer reference while
building the omega / lambda formats.

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

It leaves a 0-byte sized omega.fmt lambda.fmt and fmtutil reports
success (!) at building the format.

Removing omega.fmt and lambda.fmt and running fmtutil --missing results
in (just the tail)

Local configuration file hyphen.cfg used
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
File: hyphen.cfg 2001/03/01 v3.7h Babel language switching mechanism
\l@english=\language0
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ushyph1.tex)
\l@greek=\language1
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/omega/lambda/base/elhyph16.tex))
=================================
Applying patch file ltpatch.ltx
=================================
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ltpatch.ltx)
fmtutil: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/lambda.fmt
successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/omega.fmt successfully
generated.

so it seems omega crashes.

Note however, that I am using a texmf tree other than from TeX Live,
this is the teTeX texmf tree from the end of January. omega should of
course not crash, but given its reported instability I might be able to
solve this by updating my texmf tree wrt omega.