[tex-live] too many files

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:12:31 +0100 (CET)

Sebastian Rahtz wrote (about packaging into zip files texmf/source/ ):

> two reasons
>  a) its much much more work for the installer, and the maintenance.
>     if you ask for package X, I have to unpack just its source!

The installer can just copy, e.g., texmf/source/latex/graphics.zip
along with "live" macros and docs (RunFiles)

>  b) it goes against the "live" nature of the product

Sources are rarely used as "live". They must be on the CD to complete
the packages. If really needed, they can be unpacked by the user.
We can spare ~35 MB!

> > Again, /usergrps seems to contain not so fresh stuff, so it would be
> > enough to provide link to tug.org from the main readme.html (10MB to spare).

> but the usergroups which give out this CD might not agree?

Perhaps, but the actual contents is quite the same as on TL5 and TL4, so
it seemed to me that was forgoten. ;-)

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl