[tex-live] Problems with TeX-Live 7

Michael Barr barr@barrs.org
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:17:41 -0500 (EST)

I am the TeX editor for an online journal.  The editor-in-chief has a
problem with TL7 that he has not been able to extirpate.  It seems (after
quite a bit of activity on the comp.text.tex news group) that the problem
is something called
Source specials enabled.
(Line from his log files.)  The effect is that the definition
\def\subsection{\@startsection{subsection}{2}{\z@}{-3.2ex plus -1ex minus
 -.2ex}{-1em plus -1em minus -.4em}{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape}}
produces indented subsections.  Changing the third parameter from \z@ to
-\parindent cures the problem, but it forces him and me to have different
versions of our class file, which will cause endless problems.

Between initex, Windedit, the configuration file, and the calling program,
something is invariably turning on these source specials and we have not
been able to figure out how to turn it off.  Also it is clearly buggy
since it should not be changing the subsection indentation in any case.
BTW, the \section definition is not affected.  Our definition is
\def\section{\@startsection {section}{1}{\z@}{-4ex plus -1ex minus
-.2ex}{1.75ex plus .2ex}{\large}}

Please respond directly to me because I am not a subscriber to this list.

Michael Barr