[tex-live] TL6 install report

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:14:17 +0200

Sebastian Rahtz writes:

 > Fabrice Popineau writes:
 >  > * Petr Sojka <sojka@informatics.muni.cz> writes:
 >  >
 >  > > fatal: memory exhausted (xmalloc of 64000008 bytes).
 >  >
 >  > I'm afraid that this one will beat a few people. This is a straight
 >  > consequence of enlarging tex to handle all the languages available on
 >  > the texlive.
 >
 > I am puzzled by this. is it genuinely running out of memory?

I can confirm Petr's report. 'latex sample2e' runs out of memory
on Solaris machines with 32Mb RAM. It seems to run fine on Solaris
and SGI with 64Mb RAM (or more).

Maybe it should be added to the http://tug.org/texlive page somewhere.

I mentioned before the out of memory error on HPUX; this happened
on a machine with 128Mb memory and may be a local problem: we
recently decided to drop the maintenance of these machines.

Kaja