[tex-live] TeXlive 6b/pdfTeX and Linux 2.0

Thomas Esser te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:02:59 +0200

>  >   - install a gcc which does not use a shared libstdc++ (if gcc only finds
>  >     a static libstdc++.a and no libstdc++*.so it will just use the
>  >     static version) for producing the pdf*tex binaries you are going
>  >     to redistribute
> that sounds a fairly major undertaking to get working on all the
> systems on which we might compile

Well, something which might be a work-around comes into my mind.  You can
try to move libstdc++*.so away, so that g++ does not wind it at the
usual places.

You might then run into trouble, because existing binaries might need that
shared library. This can be solved e.g. on Linux systems by putting these
libraries into some new directory which you also add to /etc/ld.so.conf.
On non-linux systems, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run
binaries that depend on the shared libstdc++, but I doubt that there
are many such binaries around...

Thomas