[tex-live] Permission problem !!!

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
10 Jul 2001 17:54:45 +0200

* Staszek Wawrykiewicz <StaW@gust.org.pl> writes:

> --- After installing on win2000, as administrator, with `Install for
> all users' selected, I cannot run latex as `normal user', e.g.,
> latex can be started, but: C:\users\staw\latex test-pl.tex This is
> TeX ....  (c:/Local/TeX/texmf/web2c/cp1250pl.tcx) latex.exe:
> c:/Local/TeX/texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt: Permission denied

> What's wrong?

Win2000 is wrong. I tried to fool it by running the cacls command at
install time, like this :

cacls c:\Local /t /e /g everyone:F

but unfortunately, the names are localized, it means that on a French
version of w2k I would have to replace 'everyone' by 'tout le monde' !

In  fact  the  situation is  worse.  If  I understand  correctly,  all
generated files under   W2K have  restricted access  to  the user  who
created them. This is really annoying and a solution needs to be found
quickly. So if  you know anybody  who understands this problem, please
let me know.

Fabrice