[tex-live] Help wanted

Mel Nathanson melnathanson@hotmail.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:11:20 -0400

Dear Sebastian:

Thank you for your reply to my email, but I still can't run LaTex.
Here is the situation:  Quick Install loads some files into the directory
c:\local\tex.  I guess that Tex Live is a DOS program
(where is this written?), but at the DOS prompt, if I give the command latex
x, where x is a latex file, I get the response "bad command or file name."
Somewhere I saw the suggestion that I need to add something to the path, and
I vaguely recall, from medieval times, that there is a path statement in the
file autoexec.bat, which, according to Windows Explorer, is somewhere in
C:\windows\command, though I can't file it.  If I could find it, however, I
need to know how to modify the path.

All this, I assume, is trivial to anyone who knows anything about hacking
about with computers, but, like most mathematicians, I don't.

Help, please.

Mel Nathanson