TL5 from March 28th

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:41:58 +0100 (BST)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz writes:

 > > clean fmtutil.cnf in /usr/TeX/texmf/web2c... Done fixing fmtutil.cnf
 >
 > As previously it has most of formats unblocked :-(

but as I keep saying, why does it matter?

 > 1. install-cd.sh copied all formats to proposed /usr/TeX/texmf/web2c
 >    this point is acceptable...

i now think that it should not copy any format files at all, but
always create them

 > 2. for a strange reason /usr/TeX/texmf-var/ was created with the _same_ copy
 >    of fmtutil.cnf and then all formats were regenerated (during install),
 >    so we have another 24 MB on disk. To be exact, I didn't selected creation
 >    of var (alternate directory for configuration)

but it *always* uses VAR, it just has a default value

 > I can guess a mistake with texmf-var and texmf-local ;-)
 >
 > -----
 > BLU can hapilly start texconfig (great!) but his local automagically
 > created tree is full of formats because of previous steps.
 > Hardly acceptable!

why not? his tree is full of formats that correspond to the
sources he installed. if he does a basic install, it will try to build
pdftex.fmt, and fail, rightly.

 > Nevertheless, I believe that such situation is more and more close to
 > the ideas of easy and clear configuration from both (admin and BLU) sides:
 > 1. do not touch fmtutil.cnf when copying it from the CD

but then you'll never be able to build format files unless you edit it
by hand

 > 2. clean up the mess with texmf-var and texmf-local for install script
i claim that there is no mess...

 > The worst experience was replacing fmtutil.cnf in texmf-var/web2c/
 > by a clean one from the CD, and then running texconfig from BLU account.
 > texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf  was ignored and again,

i need to look at that

 > It seems quite clear: the admin can touch the global
 > $VARTEXMF/web2c/fmtutil.cnf and generate any format he decides,
 > but $TEMFMAIN/web2c/fmtutil.cnf _should be_ as simple as possible

ok. let me see if I can achieve this

 > Recommended installation copies texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cs/
 > ???? Only!

as expected. thats what the .tpm files say. propose changes to the
.tpm files.....

 > The same is on win32.
win32 install should now be identical to linux; they read the same
files

sebastian