texdoctk

Thomas Ruedas ruedas@geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:08:05 +0100

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>:
>I tried on a non-teTeX trr (TeX Live) where I do not have updates.dat
Wouldn't it be possible to copy one of the database files
(texdoc-102.dat possibly) to texdoc-local.dat and then modify that
according to the TeXLive directory tree as described in the README under
INSTALLATION? texdoctk first looks for texdoc-local.dat, and only if
that is not there it tries to read updates.dat.
>ideally, you would get this information from the Williams Catalogue
>database, though it is not currently in there in the format you would
>need.
That would be a major effort, I guess, and I don't see a simple and
reliable way of extracting keywords from it. Besides, it would still
make it necessary to maintain a certain kind of database so that a
possible script for the generation of the final database knows which
docs of which packages are there at all at the local site.

Thomas
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics, J.W.Goethe University Frankfurt
e-mail: ruedas@geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/