texmf.cnf for BLU

Thomas Esser te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:18:14 +0100 (MET)

>  TEXMFCNF = .:{$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}\
>  {,{/share,}/texmf{.local,}/web2c};c;/TeX/texmf/web2c
>
> If I changed that to
>
>  TEXMFCNF = .:{$VARTEXMF,$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}\
>  {,{/share,}/texmf{.local,}/web2c};c;/TeX/texmf/web2c
>
> then the programs would search whatever was the value of VARTEXMF set
> in the texmf.cnf at compile time, yes? if someone changes VARTEXMF at

- $VARTEXMF should be $VARTEXMF/web2c
- variables on the right side of "=" will be expanded at runtime, not
  at build time
- it does not work as expected :-(

To my last point: you usually set VARTEXMF in a texmf.cnf file and not
in the environment. But, for searching texmf.cnf files, only environment
variables and the compile-time path are considered, so there is no way
for a clean solution.

Sorry for suggesting using VARTEXMF in the search path of texmf.cnf.
It was a bad idea which does not work. I don't see an easy way (without
environment variables) which helps to maintain texmf.cnf in $VARTEXMF.

Thomas