TL5 alpha3 (rep.2)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:54:51 +0100 (MET)

BB> Barbara
DC> David
TE> Thomas

TE> In teTeX, the ams/bluesky type 1 fonts are insubdirectories of "bluesky".
TE> I can change that to ams if this is what everyone agrees on.

Yes, and it is the main question. It will simplify distributions and
give clarity to the TDS tree.

BB> we recommend \usepackage{psamsfonts} to get a controllable result,
BB> but even that's not perfect.  someone has reported as a bug that
BB> lines don't break the same with and without psamsfonts (i.e., with
BB> the type 1 fonts vs. pk's).

\usepackage{psamsfonts} ?? Where it can be found?
Sebastion, we haven't such file on TL5 alpha.

logo fonts
BB> this, on the other hand, is an ideal resolution.  please use taco's
BB> mflogo fonts on tex live, and ignore the ams.bluesky versions.
BB> thanks, thomas.

It was already done on TL4.

TE> Sure, it does. I have used dvips and pdftex and compared the output of
TE> bitmap fonts vs. scaled type 1 (map file trick mentioned above). No
TE> difference in size.
TE>
TE> I don't really understand why it works, but it does. :-) Maybe, we should
TE> ask Tomas or Thanh.

Dvips uses also tmf files and is enought smart to do the scalling.
Quite the same result can be obtained in a way:
cmbsy7 CMBSY10 ".7 EntendFont" <cmbsy10.pfb
but, e.g.,
cmbsy6 CMBSY7 <cmbsy.pfb
is just scaled with more accuracy ;-)

DC> You can in principle make the scaled 10pt match the 9pt metrics
DC> exactly by wrapping it in a vf file

BB> but providing the vf file is, like, work!  not really likely to
BB> happen from ams, i don't think.

Yes, but only making `good' vf files edited `by hand' and precisely
defining the positioning has some sense.

The only `legal' and 100\% clean way is using \font\X zzzz atYpt
in the TeX file (it needs checking some packages). It can cure the problem
of line breaks, etc.
Other substitutions (in map file or in vf) are somehow artifficial
and always can give impredictable results (e.g. some fonts can have
different set of glyphs, look at cmr5 and cmr7 ;-)

For the moment, the approximation provided by bsr-missing-interpolated.map
is better than nothing, and, again, making more stuff like new set of
vf fonts would make live harder. It would be better making some changes
in style files since making ps and pdf files are more and more frequent
and expected.

But it is another question...

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl