texlive server (rep. 1)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 05:09:19 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> for those of you following it, I have updated the material in
> sun2.dante.de/texlive quite a lot in the last week. the source and
> texmf tree are now as clean as I can get them at present.

TL5-alpha3, Jan 18 2000
=======================

remove /ERRATA
move /doc/kpathsea.ps to /texmf/doc/kpathsea/ and remove /doc/
remove /systems/os2/emtexTDS
move /systems/msdos/emtexTDS.zip to /systems/os2/
(it contains somehow more actual stuff than this just removed from
/systems/os2/).

--------------
/setupw32/texshell32/   should be updated from CTAN.
texshell.ini should be corrected:

old> Preview=windvi -1 "%P%F.dvi"
new> Preview=windvi -single "%P%F.dvi"

--------------
/texmf/doc/guides/epslatex/
epslatex.pdf is worth of adding here

--------------
/texmf/doc/html/guides/texcnven.html
               ========= ??
I'm always curious why this file occupy directory with such a name ;-)

--------------
/texmf/doc/html/index.html
link to nonexistent ../../../../FAQ/english/english/texfaq_toc.html
link to nonexistent catalogue/ctfull.html
  (should be catalogue/catalogue.html)
link to nonexistent latex2html/index.html
link to nonexistent auctex/auc-tex_toc.html
missing (very important, I think) links to:
manpages/index.html (worth of making it),
etex/etex.html
fptex/fptex.html
tetex/tetex.html (not exist anymore?)

--------------
/texmf/doc/generic/babel/  empty

--------------
It not clear what is in /texmf/doc/lwc/
There is no global readme. I can imagine there are LaTeX Web Companion
examples, but many of them are from LaTeX Graphics Companion (?).
Some interesting stuff but from the user point: where to start and what
can be done with it?

--------------
Using frequently TL CD on win32 gives always the same problem: most users
do complain that while inserting the CD, the setup is always started.
Can we consider removing autorun.exe and starting setup only when desired?
It is not problem for me, by please think about most simply users
and such idiotic bahaviour of M$ Windows.

--------------
Starting setup on windows failed; there is no:
bin\win32\einitex.exe
   ======
texmf\doc\html\catalogue\tar.gif
so such setup, based on exact list of files is too fragile.
I know, Fabrice is working on it, so I still keep crossed fingers...

I know that bin/i586-win32/ is more informative, but I prefer just
bin/win32/ . Fabrice, can you reconsider it? In Win making, e.g.,
`cd i586-win32' from the command line is not so straightforward as
on Unix ;-)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl