TeX Live 5c, bugs wrt/ PSNFSS

Walter Schmidt Walter Schmidt" <walter.schmidt@arcormail.de
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:14:17 +0200 (MSZ)

Dear TeXLive team,

I have just received a copy of the TeX Live 5c CD-ROM.
I'm sorry for having to report two bugs, affecting PSNFSS:

(1)

You are providing new PSNFSS v8.1, which includes the
LaTeX package mathpple and the related fd, tfm and vf
files.  However, the fd, tfm and vf files of the
previous stand-alone mathpple package are still present:

The new files reside in:

texmf/tex/latex/psnfss
texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe/palatino
texmf/fonts/vf/adobe/palatino

The obsolete files reside in:

texmf/tex/latex/mathpple
texmf/fonts/tfm/mathpple
texmf/fonts/vf/mathpple

Thus, it is a question of chance, which version will
be actually used!

My installation instructions of the PSNFSS v8.1,
to be found in texmf/doc/latex/psnfss00readme.txt,
clearly say:

  * The "mathpple" bundle was distributed and installed
  separately so far; it is now part of PSNFSS.  In case it was
  installed, the following directories must be removed now:
  texmf/fonts/tfm/public/mathpple
  texmf/fonts/vf/public/mathpple
  texmf/tex/latex/mathpple
  texmf/doc/latex/mathpple

As to the tfm and vf files, these are not exactly the
directories where _you_ keep the old version, but I refer
to the directory names as suggested by TDS and by the
installation instructions of the "old" mathpple.

(2)
The font map files for dvips and pdftex are lacking the
entries for the Helvetica-Narrow fonts, which belong to the
"Base35" font set and are always supported by PSNFSS.
[ Why didn't you simply build your psfonts.map files upon
the sample file psnfss.map, which is distributed as part
of the new PSNFSS v8.1 bundle? ]

Greetings

Walter

--
Walter Schmidt
Schornbaumstrasse 2,  91052 Erlangen,  Germany