Planning for TL5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:51:35 +0100 (BST)

Arthur Ogawa writes:

 > Karl, I think the new machine should have a CDR drive. Do you
 > agree? I recall that Sebastian at one time was hunting for a CDR,

UKTUG purchased one for the project, FWIW

 >  so I think we had best
 > prepare ourselves with the requirement in mind. I know that the inclusion of
 > the CDR drive has certain implications, some of which bear on
 > Karl. Do people think it would be appropriate to cut the master
 > this way?

depends where the box is! it puts an onus on Karl to put disks in and
out,  which he may not want. i don't think its needed,
personally. many of us can easily cut CDs now.

 > Also, it seems to me that storage at 18Gb would be a good cost effective
 > choice and would ensure that the machine would be useful for many years to
where "many" may be as much as 2 or 3 :-}

 > Albeit separate from the purchase of the new machine, you might
 > consider proposing that TUG register the domains "texlive.com" and
 > "texlive.org", which are currently unregistered.

I personally wouldn't support this. we are not .com people, and whats
wrong with texlive.tug.org? or am I out of fashion?

sebastian