lug letter

Karl Berry tex-live@tug.org
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:05:37 -0500 (EST)

My proposed revised draft of the letter to go out to the lugs.  It is
basically what Art had, I just made a few editorial changes
(non-controversial I hope) and added a paragraph about the cost at the end.

- I suggest that Pat send this out as soon we get a grip on the pricing.
Pat, don't forget to replace the xx's :).

- Phil, I recognize your concern about including what is and is not
included on the CD, but I don't know the answer.  Sebastian, can you
please tell us?  Besides Unix and win32 ... ?

- For the `well-off' user groups, I marked a place in the second-to-last
paragraph to include a short note to them, which I think should go
something like this:

  This is slightly more than cost of reproduction; that extra cost will
  go towards subsidizing the cost of TeX Live to other user groups from
  countries with weaker economies; TUG will not benefit.  If this
  presents a burden for your group, please contact us to acquire the CD
  at cost.

- Question: will shipping cost be additional?  I suppose it should be, as
shipping isn't really `per CD'.  We can just bill actual cost, I guess?