TeXLive4 irritations

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:17:50 +0100 (BST)

Ross MOORE writes:
 > For the binaries in:  /cdrom/bin/alphaev5-osf4.0d
 >
 > landau.mpce.mq.edu.au> pdftex --version
 > 15277:/usr/local/bin/pdftex: /sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot map libstdc++.so.2.7.1
 >
 > The problem is that it's linked to an *old* version of the library.
 > We have:  /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a
 > built from  vers 2.7.2.3 (the latest at GNU is 2.8.x )
oh damn. this is not the first time this has come up, that dependence
in the C++ library. maddening. I think Thomas Esser has a solution for
next time.

 > 2 others failed similarly, but for a different library:

i hate computers

 > landau.mpce.mq.edu.au> mf --version
 > task_create() failed for pid 15310: maxuprc (=64) exceeded for uid 1021.
 > task_create() failed for pid 15310: maxuprc (=64) exceeded for uid 1021.
 > task_create() failed for pid 15310: maxuprc (=64) exceeded for uid 1021.
thats new!

 >  1. does someone (Mimi B. ?) have a copy of the  libstdc++.so.2.7.1
 >     already compiled, that I could copy --- will this work anyway ?
i'll look tomorrow on the machine I compiled it on

 >  2. Is it easier to recompile  pdfTeX  from scratch ?
probably

 > 	Where is the source, I couldn't find it on the CD ?
CD:/source/source.tgz

 >  3. ditch the Alpha and buy a Pentium --- so says Sebastian  ;-)
yup. do it

 > Of course this begs the question of whether other binaries on TeXLive4
 > are similarly tied to specific versions of shared libraries,
 > on other platforms, and will fail to work after installation.
i386-libc5, potentially

 > How serious is this likely to be ?
no-one else has reported it, FWIW. the i386-libc5 is broken in the
same way, but I only know that because Thomas tested it after a teTeX
report.

fingers crossed is the best I can do, and putting the
libstdc++.so.2.7.1 on the Web site and in the bugs list

sebastian