[Fwd: Bulk orders of the TeX Live CDROM]

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:11:41 +0000 (GMT)

Bernard GAULLE writes:
 > to organize, i want people say what they are doing or will do in a
 > few weeks and for which organization. Who is responsible for what?
 > Who is owning the TL4 Copyright for duplication?
 > Is duplication free for LUGs or not?

anyone _can_ duplicate the material on TL4. We ask them not to, because

 * they have to negotiate distribution licenses with you and with
   Peter Deutsch, and maybe others
 * it is more efficient for one organisation to press lots of copies

So far as I am concerned, TUG certainly holds and will retain the
copyright on the artwork used for the CD; and I (or TUG) have implicit
copyright (since we did not say explicitly that we didn't) on the
CD-specific documentation. But the rest is `as is'

To quote from the LICENSE

"Copying conditions for TeX Live 4

You may copy, modify, or redistribute software from this CD only if you
comply with the requirements placed thereon by the owners of the
respective software packages.
If you plan on redistributing the entire CD contents (as in making your
own copies of the CD), you must not do so for profit, as many of the
packages here forbid that.  You are allowed to charge only a (very)
nominal fee, enough to recover your administrative and media costs, no
more.  It is vastly preferable to not charge at all, but simply make the
CD a benefit of membership in your organization (or the equivalent, such
as for university departments).  Furthermore, the recipients of the CD
may not resell the CD.  TUG itself is giving the CD to its members as a
benefit of membership."

For the purposes of O'Reilly France, I have made a *subset* CD,
removing packages which I know forbid distribution for profit. I have
left in Ghostscript and "french" because Xavier told me he had made
arrangements to cover them (I'll check again before I make them the
final master).

Since the number of excluded packages is quite small, its almost
certainly better for you to give the O'Reilly CD to your members,
rather than copying TL4a, if TUG has run out of copies

I am very sorry this has all turned into such a mess, again. I simply
do not understand why a) the original request from GUTenberg seems to
have got lost, b) why TUG/Pat seem to be unable to sort out who has
copies of the CD. Art, why cant you and Pat answer the latter question
in less than 5 minutes? what is the mystery?

Sebastian