Embedding TeXLive4 in a book

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:17:49 +0100 (BST)

Arthur Ogawa writes:
 > As far as the TL4 CD is concerned, the master of the CD is being provided by
 > TUG, and the CD's cost of production is being born by the publisher. I don't
 > know that the book can accurately claim that no profit is being
 > made from the CD, but if the book's copyright allows free copying
 > of the contents of the book, then both the book and the bundled CD
 > qualify as "free". If so, then the
 > licenseholders of the software, including GS, would be satisfied and, in the
 > case of GS, would not require a license fee.
interesting point, but is O'Reilly that far ahead of the industry?
I know the Open Source book is `free' , but are the normal books?

 > Xavier, on a separate issue, the book is likely to contain a
 > certain amount of code samples (TeX documents and macros). The
 > author might wish to do two things:
 >
 > 1. Put the code samples on CTAN.
 >
 > 2. Put the same material on the TL4 CD that is to be bundled with the book.

Yes, if we make a new master CD for you, adding a new top level
directory of book examples would be easy. we'd likely have to remove
something to make room for it, of course! Given its lack of
integration, the Mac distribution is a good target. depends on how
much space is needed.

Sebastian