Notes on TL5 (Nov 16)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:18:03 +0000 (GMT)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz writes:
 > Some thoughts after testing TL5 (Nov 16).

sorry for the delay in replying

 > Win32: windvi simply does not work on win95. Fabrice has a better version.

I have not touched bin/win32 at all. Fabrice, maybe you can update
that for us

 > Copy files listed in fonts2
 > /usr/bin/gtar: Cannot add file texmf/fonts/tfm/urw/avantgar/uagro8t.tfm: No
 > such file or directory
 > /usr/bin/gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
 >
 > /usr/bin/gtar: Cannot add file texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/iso88591/cm/#cmr.htf#: No
 > such file or directory
 > /usr/bin/gtar: Cannot add file
 > texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/iso88591/ams/cyrillic/#msam.htf#: No such file or
 > directory
 > /usr/bin/gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

this sort of rubbish should be fixed now

 > texconfig run first checks installed commands in bin/.../ (like pdfelatex,
 > all from bin/ is installed), so after modification of fmtutil.cnf desired
 > formats are not generated.
 > Even fmtutil --all does not take care of modified fmtutil.cnf? Why?

this does not sound right. when I use fmtutil --all, it rebuilds all
the .fmt files, regardless

 > By the way, please consider two things:
 > 1. The only and natural way for normal user to have local configuration
 >    (MF mode, local printer, own format etc.) is VARTEXMF set to, e.g.,
 >    $HOME/texmf. It can be done easily by sysadmin, so the user can just run
 >    texconfig which builds a small local tree and allows to do other things.
 >    Such trick is rather unknown/undocumented. I would like to stress
 >    VARTEXMF, HOMETEXMF et al issues in the documentation.

you want me to change the default VARTEXMF? grab the latest texmf.cnf
and show us what you think it should look like

 > 2. texconfig run first builds the formats. It is always strange to me,
 >    because I'd like to run texconfig just to decide what has to be done.
 >    If for some reason some packages are not installed (e.g. Omega),
 >    or removed by hand by sysadmin, and fmtutil.cnf has it unblocked,
 >    we have a mess with errors.
 >    The first run of texconfig by the normal user (if he has VARTEXMF set)
 >    builds all formats declared for the whole installation. This can be
 >    hardly acceptable by sysadmin or even the user.
 >    What do you think, Thomas?

over to Thomas, on that one

 > Still problem what to do with texmf/fonts/pfm/ I think, it can be only
 > used in win32 by ATM, but it uses different directory structure. Am I wrong?

probably you are right. i just dump them in their for completeness

 > Sebastian, who take care on the documentation at the moment? What is its
 > state?

the documentation is unchanged since the spring. I wish someone would
take it up and look at it!!!

 > Would you please also gzip the iso image on the server. I can do it
 > only in /texlive since my HOME is too small. ;-)
done

 > The last question (silly, please reply personally): which script has to be
 > run if I want to update the tree. I remember your notes about updating
 > lists so I'd like to know the whole concept.

I am not sure what you mean by "update the tree"?

/texlive/Build/cdbuild/makeimage makes a new .iso.gz file, is that
what you mean? otherwise its the usual "mktexlsr" and so on. running
/texlive/Build/cdbuild/Check looks for duplicate and missing files
(look at files.dupl, files.find.only and files.lists.only when it has
run)

I just updated the source tree and Linux binaries to the latest
versions of eg pdftex and dvipdfm. the texmf tree is also more or less
uptodate.

if anyone wants to look at /texlive/Build/cdbuild/raw and work out how
the odd packages should be installed, be my guest

that is to say, I need a reliable way to "CTAN to TDS" each of these,
using the /texlive/Build/cdbuild/ctan2tds sausage machine:

accfonts
cb
cmcyr
euro
europs
eurosans
spanish
t2
rmligs
sauterfonts
simplified-latex
ukrhyph

if anyone wants to help by looking at ctan2tds, understanding it, and
adding the necessary rules for these packages, I'd be very happy

Sebastian