[tex-k] Problem with "mf" online display in GNOME

Igor Liferenko igor.liferenko at gmail.com
Fri May 26 07:43:08 CEST 2017

Hi Karl and all,

I have found the solution which works perfectly for me. The patch is attached.
For now, this is all that I have to offer. But I'm ready to help with testing
if you have any ideas.

I suggest that TL will use --with-mf-x-toolkit (like it is done in Debian
build), because with Xlib the drawing is erased when it is overlapped by
another window (as described by Paul Vojta), whereas with Xt this does not
happen.

For those who may need this, here are the steps which
I performed to build local variant of MetaFont:

sudo apt-get install libxt-dev texinfo
mkdir mydir && cd mydir
rsync -a --delete --exclude=.svn --exclude=Work
tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source/ .
mkdir Work && cd Work
../configure --disable-all-pkgs --disable-native-texlive-build
--enable-web2c --with-mf-x-toolkit
make
cd texk/web2c/
MFINPUTS=/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/metafont/base/:/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/metafont/misc/:.
./mf -ini -jobname mf '\input plain input modes dump' # or download
plain.mf and modes.mf from internet
MFBASES=. MFINPUTS=. ./mf test

Many thanks to Karl and Paul for your help and ideas.

Igor

P.S. Is it possible to reduce the present build even more, to a bare
minimum - just to get a working "mf" binary? (for example, how to exclude
luatex and libicu builds?)