[tex-k] Bug report for The TeXbook

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jan 26 01:25:27 CET 2016

On 2016-01-25 at 18:50:35 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:

 > Dear TeX maintainers,
 >
 > I suppose I found a minor bug in The TeXbook.
 >
 > For the item '\newhelp' the index directs to pages
 > '346, +347'. In my printed version (I bought it around 2002)
 > and, as far as I see, in the current version the '\newhelp'
 > macro only appears on page 347. The definition even comes
 > before the description.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for processing this report and eventually
 > for fixing the bug.

I assume that nobody else but Don Knuth can fix the bug.

But how can this happen?  I can't imagine that page numbers in index
entries are hard coded.

If you you are keen to investigate further, you'll find the sources of
The TeXbook and the underlying macro package on CTAN.

  http://ctan.org/systems/knuth/dist/tex/texbook.tex
  http://ctan.org/macros/plain/base/manmac.tex

I just notice that manmac.tex appears thrice on CTAN.

  macros/plain/base/manmac.tex
  macros/plain/contrib/samples/manmac.tex
  systems/knuth/dist/lib/manmac.tex

Hopefully all these files are identical or are links to one and the
same file, at least.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25