[tex-k] Bug?

Kiran Kolwankar kiran.kolwankar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 12:14:38 CEST 2014

I recently upgrade to ubuntu 14.04. While installing it
showed some error with tex-common but it continued
and completed the installation.

Today, while doing pdflatex I encountered the following error:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

I searched on the net and did various things suggested on
different mailing list:

1) Running the code:

cd /etc/texmf
for a in `find . -name "*.pacnew"`; do
    sudo mv $(echo ${a/.pacnew/}) $(echo ${a/.pacnew/}).mybackup;
    sudo mv $a $(echo ${a/.pacnew/});
done
sudo fmtutil-sys --all

2) Renaming the file .texmf-var

3) Complete removal of texlive and reinstalling it (as somebody had
succeeded with it).

But nothing worked. Rather there were errors while reinstalling and that is what
I am reporting. I am attaching three files.

But if I run pdflatex now I get a different (following) error:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

What could be the problem? I need to use latex urgently.
Anyway, I'll keep searching the net to find out more though
I am not an expert in linux. Now I feel I unnecessarily hurried
and updated the linux.

I'll be nice if there is some solution to this.

Thanking you in advance,
Best regards,
Kiran