[tex-k] FAIL: tests/ttf.test

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:10:40 CET 2012

On 7/11/12 13:37, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Mi, 07 Nov 2012, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> A workaround, in that case, might be to disable C++11 support with an
>> appropriate -std=... argument to the compiler.
>
> E.g.
> 	-std=c90
> would that suffice?

Perhaps; or maybe -std=c++98 would be more appropriate for C++ sources.
I haven't looked into this in any detail, I'm just aware that a number
of projects have recently reported issues that arise because ICU's UChar
typedef changed from uint16_t to char16_t when it's built with a C++11
compiler. This can cause problems for code that has its own Unicode
character type based on unsigned short or uint16_t, and expects it to be
compatible with ICU's UChar. The types themselves interoperate fine, but
pointers to them are not considered compatible, AIUI.

Another solution (assuming this is the problem people are having) would
be a sprinkling of explicit (UChar*) typecasts wherever such ICU APIs
are used with external (unsigned short *) data types.

JK