[tex-k] texLive 2011 updmap problem

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Sep 1 20:22:34 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-01 at 13:51:40 +0100, Dick Nickalls wrote:

 > Dear Karl,
 >
 > just a note to report a problem wrt updmap in TL 2011, and to ask
 > for some advice as to how to get it working. I can't see any
 > related info on the internet anywhere.
 >
 > I have just installed TL2011 in my linux (mandriva) distro (TL
 > 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 all installed OK) All is working just fine -
 > but I have discovered that the updmap command fails for some
 > reason.  /texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/updmap
 >
 > Here is the error message from running it at the commandline
 >
 > -----------------
 > $  updmap
 > --> Error in option spec: "setoption=s{1,2}"
 > ------------------------
 >
 > I notice that for the first time it is a link to updmap.pl in
 > /texmf/scripts/tetex/updmap.pl (in all previous years TL it was a
 > BASH script, which worked nicely OK)

Dear Dick,
I'm on this list too, hence it wasn't necessary to write me separately.

 > my question is
 > (1) can I use the 2010 updmap.sh script instead ??

Yes, but the shell script is about 30 times slower and will not be
maintained anymore.  There are also known problems with spaces in file
names.

BTW, the Perl script isn't really new.  I has been used in TeX Live
under Windows for more than a decade.  I made it work on Unix when I
was too annoyed by the very low speed of the shell script.  The Perl
script now also provides a more useful log file.

 > (2) what is the problem with the new perl script

You are using a relatively old version of Perl, presumably 5.8.4.
updmap.pl requires at least version 5.8.8.  Upgrading Perl is the best
solution.

 > (3) where do I find any /recent/ documentation regarding  updmap

updmap hasn't been changed for many years, hence both, the manual page
and the help message should be up-to-date.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25