[tex-k] Updmap-sys does not leave out MAP file fragments in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 14 20:58:05 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-14 at 09:11:36 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > On Di, 14 Jun 2011, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > On 2011-06-14 at 08:27:52 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
 > > Probably not a good idea to use a different syntax here than in
 > > updmap.cfg.  Why don't you use a single '!' or '~' in order to
 > > indicate the negation?
 >
 > Probably becuase it is how it worked in former times in teTeX, that was
 > syntax used and still used by updmap enableMap and disableMap ...
 > or at least in the teTeX updmap times it was like htat.

The tetex scripts always considered lines beginning with # as comment
lines.  The ! indicates that an entry is disabled.  It's needed in
order to distinguish disabled entries from "normal" comments.

Let's take fmtutil.cnf as an example:

#
# from amstex:
amstex pdftex - -translate-file=cp227.tcx *amstex.ini
#
# from context:
cont-en pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-en.ini
cont-en xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-en.ini
#! cont-de pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-de.ini
#! cont-fr pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-fr.ini
#! cont-it pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-it.ini
#! cont-nl pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-nl.ini
#! cont-ro pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-ro.ini
#

The teTeX config files are designed so that items can be enabled or
disabled by other tools or GUIs.  This requires that entries have a
valid syntax, even if they are commented out.

A GUI could now enable cont-de.

As far as updmap is concerned, tlmgr allows to put lines like

#!SkakNew.map
#!arabi.map
#!arevvn.map
#!ascii.map

instead of

#!Map SkakNew.map
#!Map arabi.map
#!Map arevvn.map
#!Map ascii.map

into updmap.cfg.  These lines can't be enabled because the [Mixed]Map
column is missing.

Currently, updmap --syncwithtrees only disables map entries if the
files don't exist, but it's also thinkable to enable disabled entries
if the files are found.

Thus, it would be better if tlmgr rejects invalid entries.  However,
the other possibility is to make the user responsible for correct
entries in updmap-local.cfg.

But what I don't understand is why anybody wants to disable Map
entries for installed fonts.  This makes sense for MixedMap entries
only, if bitmap fonts are preferred to Type 1 fonts.

If one wants to disable outline fonts, the best solution is to
uninstall them.  Simply removing map entries leads to a broken
installation.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25