[tex-k] Size limitation for dvips output files

Hilmar Preusse hille42 at web.de
Wed Sep 1 11:39:25 CEST 2010

On 31.08.10 Tom Rokicki (rokicki at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks for your fast response!

> I'm fairly certain that if dvips is compiled with large file
> support, it will just work (at least for output files; I make no
> guarantees if you try to use a dvi file or PK file larger than
> 2GB).

Indeed I noticed the following code in the Build script we use on
Debian to compile the TL binaries (probably the same as TL upstream):

# longinteger and off_t declarations are still inconsistent, do not
# enable this unless you are testing.
: ${TL_CONF_LARGEFILE=--disable-largefile}

I changed this to --enable-largefile and rebuilt all binaries, build
log is here: http://home.amasol.de/~preusse/tl_2009_build_lfs_enabled.xz

The resulting dvips binary however did not solve the problem.

hille at sid:~ $ uname -a
Linux sid 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 12 13:38:27 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

> Normally large file support is an architectural option (like x86 vs
> x64) that is probably specified towards the top of the build
> process.

On AMD64 I don't have the problem at all:

hille at sidamd64:~$ uname -a
Linux sidamd64 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 25 13:59:41 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hille at sidamd64:~$ ls -l a.ps
-rw-r--r-- 1 hille hille 2371565210 Sep  1 12:55 a.ps

Many thanks for help.

Hilmar
--
TAPPING?  You POLITICIANS!  Don't you realize that the END of the "Wash
Cycle" is a TREASURED MOMENT for most people?!