[tex-k] tex/pdftex -recorder works incorrectly on parrallel TeX runs (race, breaks make -j)

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Thu Apr 15 22:24:01 CEST 2010

"NP" == Norbert Preining writes:

 >> As can bee seen both tex/pdftex first use intermediate temporary
 >> file (tex.fls / pdftex.fls) and only then rename it to
 >> $(jobname).fls
 >>
 >> So the problem here is that when I try to compile both 1.tex and
 >> 2.tex _simultaneously_ (e.g. through make -j2) there is a good
 >> chance that both tex runs will open the same pdftex.fls and then
 >> oops, resulting .fls will be wrong.

I wonder, how it is different from log files? when running
simultaneously in the same directory "tex 1.tex" and "pdftex 1.tex",
the log file 1.log "will be wrong" as well as the fls file.

i.e. if there's a "race" with fls files, there's the same "race" with
log files.

it seems that appending a PID number is a wrong idea. users should not
do this, since it is documented that the name of the fls file will be
derived from the base name of the input file. so this scenario is not a
race.

Best,
v.