[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 5 16:34:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

>> (2) GString.h: no such file.
>
> The includes in pdftoepdf.cc, pdftosrc.cc etc are all wrong.

Hi Norbert,

can you fix them.

> I don't know what the preferred way is. I can prepare some patches that
> does
> 	#ifdef POPPLER_VERSION
> 		#include the poppler stuff
> 		#define GString GooString
> 	#else
> 		#include the xpdf stuff
> 	#endif

Hi Norbert,

I think that would be adequate (didn't realize that not only the filename
but also the classname is changed -- many thanks for that xpdf glib
collision).

While you are at it, you might as well try to add 'goo/' to the #include's
for xpdf where appropriate

> Another question is whether those patches will be included in the
> current pdftex/luatex/xetex dev trees?! Luatex I think so, pdftex no
> idea, xetex I guess JK will accept.

would be really useful, otherwise syncing TL with the respective dev trees
will be a nightmare.  Early in the discussion of the possibility to use
poppler instead of xpdf I said that this will necessarily be a global choice
and can't be different for pdftex/luatex/xetex.  As far as I remember there
were positive reactions to this from Thanh, Taco, and Jonathan.

Regards
Peter