[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 5 13:49:53 CEST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

>>> Here a poppler version number would be nice. I used pkg-config to get
>>> it.
>>
>> Yes, I remember some earlier mail. So I'll define some POPPLER_VERSION and
>> that can be taken as indication that poppler is used instead of xpdf.

Hi Norbert and Martin,

I have just committed r12934 with preliminary poppler support, and did a
small test (on my notebook at home I got -DPOPPLER_VERSION=\"0.10.6\").

There were several problems (failures from 'make -k'), expected as well as
unexpected ones.

(1) xpdfVersion undeclared: you certainly know to handle that one.

(2) GString.h: no such file.

For poppler that ought to be GooString.h or even better goo/GooString.h
since `pkg-config poppler --cflags` yields '-I/usr/local/include/poppler '
or similar without poppler/goo where these headers are installed.

Temporarily I have used 'XPDF_INCLUDES=`echo $XPDF_INCLUDES` to discard the
trailing blank and then added '-I.../poppler/goo'.  I would, however, prefer
not to do that in the final version, thus all #include's refering to files
in goo/ should have 'goo/' prepended.  When that is done I can also drop the
'-I.../xpdf/goo' from the XPDF_INCLUDES for the non-system xpdf.

(3) xpdf/config.h: no such file.

Maybe that should be poopler-config.h.

(4) aconf.h: no such file.

Don't know the poppler equivalent of this one (if any).

=====================

It's now all up to you. I'd suggest that for a start you might use
 	--with-system-xpdf
 	--disable-all-pkgs --enable-web2c --disable-tex --disable-aleph
 	--disable-mf --disable-mp --disable-web-progs
together with
 	--disable-luatex --disable-xetex
to build (essentially) just pdfTeX (+ttf2afm +pdftosrc) and get that one
fixed, or maybe you'd prefer to begin with luatex.

Regards
Peter