[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon May 4 19:30:41 CEST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 04 Mai 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
>> I have compiled poopler-0.10.6 and found several warnings:
>
> I see more or less the same. No idea if they are really harmful.

Hi Norbert,

a few of them are definitely bugs, in particular having to few or to many
arguments for printf type functions can produce a segfault (I don't remember
which one, but it ought to be too few -- accessing random junk as pointer)

>> You poppler guys certainly can do better. The problems (bugs?) above dampen
>> my enthusiasm for poppler as 'system-xpdf'.
>
> It is not "we", the poppler guys are others, we just use the stuff.

OK. But you might have better contacts than I do, so maybe you can forward
my complaints.

> Here a poppler version number would be nice. I used pkg-config to get
> it.

Yes, I remember some earlier mail. So I'll define some POPPLER_VERSION and
that can be taken as indication that poppler is used instead of xpdf.

> No, at least 0.10 I would say.

Absolutely. Whoever wants to build luatex/xetex/pdftex with poppler should
better install a recent version.

> When that is done I can contribute some patches for luatex/xetex/pdftex
> so that it compiles again.

I'll let you know.

Regards
Peter